Friday, December 28, 2012

Last chemo

Well, I've had my 6th and last chemo treatment (I hope).  Anyone who has had chemo knows though, that the last chemo will not be done for two weeks or so, when I start to feel better.  So, more accurately, I have started my last chemo treatment.  As you might know, then I will have surgery and likely radiation.

Then, the return to whatever normal I can muster.  I read the blog of another woman also finishing chemo the same day as me.  I have to share what her doctor told her, when asked how she will know she is cancer free.  Essentially, the answer was, we'll know the cancer did not come back when you die of something else at age 96.  I found this to be succinct and pretty real, and will not soon forget it.

I will be curious to see what my normal is like.  And a new life of coping more concretely with the unknown than even a worrier like me coped with in the first place.  

Anyway, onward: one more visit with the plastic surgeon, one mri to get final measurements for the surgeon, surgery and recovery, and the pathology report that will tell whether radiation will be forthcoming or foregone.  Day by day.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know that this step is over; onward! I look forward to seeing you in January!

    ReplyDelete